The navigation bar across the top of the site elements collapsed/added/changed to make it better for users. The way it works currently adds many unnecessary clicks for users.
I already posted one suggestion specifically about the notification icon. Here are a few more general things I very strongly would suggest:
- Instead of having "artwork - photos - stories - multimedia" etc in the navigation bar just collapse those into a "what's new" and "what's popular" link and add tabs for different kinds of content on the "new" and "popular" pages instead.
- Add a "submit content" button next to the notifications area of the navigation bar.
- Have the username link back to your userpage so you can eliminate an extra click when you want to view your userpage.
- Put the "what's new" link instead as a notification icon in the navigation bar to save a click.
- Separate different kinds of notifications into different icons as described in the other suggestion I linked
Please do this...All the extra clicks to do common things like going to your profile really add up.
Customer support service by UserEcho