+1
Planned

Find ways to feature upcoming artists AND writers

Twelve 8 years ago updated by Digby (Community Manager) 7 years ago 1

One thing that a friend brought to my attention about FN is that while it's doing a lot of things right, the way it presents its content really highlights popular artists without really giving lesser known contributors a real opportunity to shine. I don't think this was intentional, but rather I think it just sort of became that way as the team sought ways to organize everything efficiently. Instead of just a "Most Popular" feature, how about featuring contributors who have been getting a lot of attention lately (hits, favorites, promotes), or who have posted a lot of new work lately?

Planned

This is something we've been bouncing around for a while, and we definitely want to find a way to highlight creators, especially those with great talent but who are less known. What we might do for now is have a monthly staff highlight blog post; that way, we can also talk about why these are highlights for us. A few other ideas we've tossed around:

• Include a featured section on the gallery sorts. There's one main risk of this - it's easy for staff to focus on one type of art and ignore others. We'd want to make sure we had diverse picks.
  • Keep improving the activity feed so promoted submissions are more prominent.

We definitely still have work on this end, and hopefully we can come up with some good solutions.